Saturday, July 19, 2008

Straight up business.... in my pants

So, I'm writing a pilot. Old news, right? Well I'm going to let you all know about the progress, not the content just yet, but believe me it's good. Revolutionary almost. ok, sorry. so I've been filling out a spiral notebook with all the pre-text, you know; character evaluations from 4 different angles, arch conceptions for each of 6 episodes as well as a set of 4-5 interlocking series long stories, production notes from casting choices to ideas for music scores (thanks Will). But that’s nothing I haven't done for my other "pilots"... its in quotes because they never actually got written*. BUT... once I was satisfied with all that fun stuff, I actually started writing out the script. Now keep in mind when I say I wrote it out, I mean like on paper and in pencil. This means that to the untrained eye it looks like somebody ripped 5 legs off an ant and followed its tortured death run onto 50 pages of college rule.
I've got about a half of three fourths to three half fourths and a half of it finished, in laymen terms about 2-3 scenes left. Now it may not be my best writing ever, but by the time I re-write it out on a word file it will be. Honestly, I've cracked up at certain scenes over and over again. And I know that’s not saying much from a man who has stared at himself in the mirror for 2 hours straight. Clearly I admire myself... almost enviously. But this is some legit comedy here.
Now I don't work tomorrow, I could spend this time finishing up the rough draft, or even starting to type it out, but I thought you'd all want to hear form me instead. So it’s your fault if I don't get it done soon. But seriously I'm getting focused on this. A lot of you may know the way that I like to motivate myself best is with fear, specifically of pain. So I'm offering up this guarantee, if by the first day of classes at BG (Aug. 25) I don't have a version of the pilot typed up that I'm willing to show people than you can slap me. Across the face. 3 times. Only on that day, and you have to mention this blog first, otherwise I might have to run up on you with my crew (Hector). But seriously, i'ma get this done.
Moving on to the next step of the process. I need people who want to help me make this. People like co-producers, sound engineers, video editors, someone with a camera, script coverage ... whatever. Now I know you don't want to commit to something you haven't seen and which might be crap. But if you want to be considered for any kind of role you think you can manage, get at me. At the very least leave a comment here. And just remember, I will be famous. and when you come up to me in the future and say "oh Simon, you're so famous and rich, and only you can offer me that opportunity I've been looking for to help accomplish my dreams," this might be the deciding factor between me saying "sheeet, aint no thang" or "help, this homeless person who maybe looks familiar is assaulting me"

thats it for now, maybe next time I'll talk about something you care about. j/k you care about this.

* read all about it in "The Simon Koch: Origins"**
** not real***
***yet

No comments: